- Lectures: MWF 11-12, BA6183
- Office hours: Monday 12-1, Friday 12-1.
- TA: David Pechersky
- Textbook: Gerald Folland, Real Analysis Modern Techniques and Their Applications 2e
- Course Website: Quercus
- Hilbert spaces: orthogonal projections, orthonormal bases, Bessel’s inequality, parseval’s identity, operators in Hilbert spaces, spectral theorem for compact operators
- Topics in functional analysis, supplementing those covered in part I.
- Inequalities in Lp spaces, weak Lp spaces, interpolation theorems
- Fourier series and Fourier transform
- Distributions: Test functions, weak derivatives, Schwartz spaces, Sobolev spaces
- Some spectral theory of compact operators in Banach spaces
- Select additional topics if time allows.
- Homework 30%: Weekly, due Wednesdays in class.
- Midterm Test 30%: Friday February 15, time and place TBA.
- Final Exam 40%. Time and place TBA.