MAT 1302, Geometry and Dynamics in Teichmüller Spac
Equipped with the Thurston Metri
Office: Fields Institute, Room 422
MeetingsMondays 10:30 - 12:00, Fields Institute, Room 210
Wednesdays 10:30 - 12:00, Fields Institute, Room 210
We studey Teichmüller space from the point of view of hyperbolic geometry. We start with background material, reviewing measured laminations, currents and various coordinates on Teichmüller space. We then cover Thurston's paper on minimal stretch map with the goal of filling out some of the missing details in the paper.
- Main reference.
- Minimal stretch maps between hyperbolic surfaces, by William Thurston [arXiv]
- An Introduction to Geometric Topology, by Bruno Martelli. [arXiv]
- Thurston's Work on Surfaces, by Fathi, Laudenbach, Poénaru; translated by Djun Kim and Dan Margalit.
- Combinatorics of Train Tracks, by Pener and Harer.
- The Geometry and Topology of 3-manifold, by William Thurston [pdf]
The Fields Institute live streams this class. Links to the live stream can be found here.
The University of Toronto is committed to accessibility. If you require accommodations for a disability, or have any accessibility concerns about the course, the classroom or course materials, please contact Accessibility Services as soon as possible: email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit here.