|MAT246 - Winter 2015
Office: HU 1023
Hours : Th 2-4 pm and by appointment
"He who asks is a fool for five
but he who does not ask remains a fool
-- Chinese Proverb
Office Hours : Tu 2-3 in the 10th
floor lounge of HU
Office Hours : M 2-3 in the Math lounge on the 6th floor of
- The Text for this course: "A Readable
Introduction to Real Mathematics" book draft by
Daniel, David and Peter Rosenthal.
- Course Syllabus (approximate):
Readable Introduction to Real Mathematics":
Chapters 1-10, 12.
- Supplemental material from lectures.
- Class times:
- Lectures M 3-4 in
MP102, WF 3-4 in LM 159
- Tutorial W 4-5 in LM 159
- The Course Grade will be calculated as
Term Test - 30%
Final Exam - 45%
- If you have any questions about the course,
including course material and homework you are encouraged to
ask them on the MAT246
forum on Blackboard.
- When you email me regarding MAT246 please include
MAT246-2015 in the subject line.
- Homework assignments will be posted
every Friday. It will be due the following Friday at the
lecture. No email homework submissions are allowed.
- Please staple your homeworks. Unstapled
homeworks will be penalized 2 points.
- NO late
homework will be accepted.
- Important: There will be no
make up midterms! If you have a valid reason to miss
the term test, the corresponding portion of the Final exam
will count as your term test grade.
- Exam dates:
- Term test : Wednesday, February 25,
3-5pm in LM 159
- Final Exam: Thursday, April 16, 7-10pm.
- Here are the solutions to selected problems from
Note that several problems from homework 8 were included in
homework 9 and their solutions can be found in the solutions to homework 9
which were posted earlier.
- Here are the solutions to practice finals.
- The Final will cover all of the material covered in
lectures and homework. This includes the following sections
from the book:
- Chapters 1-10, Sections 12.1-12.3, 12.4
(theorem 12.4.13 only).
- My office hours the next two weeks will be
- Th, April 9, 2-4
- Tu, April 14, 11-1
Both of the TAs will also continue to hold their
regular office hours until the Final.
- Here are four practice
tests for the Final.