Assaf's Cross-US Bike Ride
Welcome! This is the index page for my bike ride from Miami, FL
to Portland, OR.
Contact and Messaging
I like sending postcards. If you'd like one, fill in the
To send me stuff:
mailing address 1 (valid until August 1, 2019):
Lewis & Clark College
Conferences & Events Office
c/o Canada/USA Mathcamp: Assaf Bar-Natan
0615 SW Palatine Hill Rd.
Portland, OR 97219
mailing address 2 (valid until August 1, 2020):
1652 Dufferin St.
Phone: 1 716 239 3850
arXiv: Assaf Bar-Natan
Ride website: https://tinyurl.com/miamitoportland
Mood: https://www.windy.com and pan to my location.
Messages, e-mails, pictures, and love letters are always welcome.
Some Blog information
I tend to write my blog posts in the late evenings, before going to bed. They are full of typos, and
occasionally have some coding mistakes, such as wrong maps, broken links, or messed up pictures. I'm sorry for
that, and I always try to fix it as soon as I can. Some days, the blog is written from inside a tent, and
updated through my phone's data plan, so really not the best conditions.
Having said that, if two days go by without a blog post, it's probably a sign that something's gone
bad. Either my laptop stops working, or I'm dead. One of these is likelier than the other.
Anyway, no one cares about all that, so let's just jump right to the biking!
Chapter 5 - The Oregon Trail
- Day 56 : where I finish the ride.
- Day 55 : where I cross the Bridge of the Gods, and my grandmother writes a guest post.
- Day 54 : where I camp for the last time.
- Day 53 : where I enter the windy gates.
- Day 52 : where I overeat.
- Day 51 : where I am on vacation.
- Day 50 : where I talk about music and Sarah writes
about small towns.
- Day 49 : where I take a silly picture in Oregon.
- Day 48 : where my dad tells of the bike's origins.
- Day 47 : where I bike along the old Oregon Trail.
- Day 46 : where I go to some hot springs and waterfalls.
- Day 45 : where I appreciate caffeine.
Chapter 4 - High Desert
- Day 44 : where I show off the happy queen/sad queen trick.
- Day 43 : where I visit the LDS temple.
- Day 42 : where I bike through the Mormon Valley.
- Day 41 : where I go to Middle Earth.
- Day 40 : where I learn to patch an inner tube.
- Day 39 : where I go to Dead Horse Point State Park.
- Day 38 : where I go on a hike with Kevin Walker.
- Day 37 : where I camp at the foot of a mountain.
- Day 36 : where I give a recipe for high desert stew.
- Day 35 : where I look at quilts.
- Day 34 : where I get really cold at night.
- Day 33 : where I get a haircut.
- Day 32 : where I replace my grip tape.
- Day 31 : where my spirit fights wind, fire, earth, and water.
- Day 30 : where I enter the desert.
Chapter 3 - Texas
- Day 29 : where I leave Texas.
- Day 28 : where I fight some more wind.
- Day 27 : where I celebrate my birthday by thinking about my friends.
- Day 26 : where I chase tornados.
- Day 25 : where I want to write you a postcard.
- Day 24 : where I have an optimal day.
- Day 23 : where I visit the place where JFK was assassinated.
- Day 22 : where I arrive in Dallas.
- Day 21 : where I describe the daily routine.
- Day 20 : where I listen to podcasts.
Chapter 2 - The South
- Day 19 : where I leave Louisiana.
- Day 18 : where I meet a friend, who writes a guest entry.
- Day 17 : where I buy a new phone.
- Day 16 : where I take a 4/5ths rest day.
- Day 15 : where I get cabin fever.
- Day 14 : where I sit in a cafe to avoid the storm.
- Day 13 : where I sleep in a nudist park.
- Day 12 : where I'm tempted by the beaches.
- Day 11 : where I think about future me.
- Day 10 : where I get my first rainfall.
- Day 9 : where I think about abandoned buildings.
Chapter 1 - Florida
- Day 8 : where I go to prison.
- Day 7 : where I visit a gas station.
- Day 6 : where I smell pine trees.
- Day 5 : where I bike along Florida trails.
- Day 4 : where I make good mileage.
- Day 3 : where I go to GATORAMA.
- Day 2 : where I do an experiment.
- Day 1 : where I land in Miami.
Chapter 0 - Preparations
- Day 0 : where I pack my bags, and
share some final thoughts.
- Day -1 : where I box the bike
- Day -2 : where I update the checklist
- Day -3 : where I talk about some good ideas.
- Day -4 : where I make a final checklist of things I need to do.
- Day -32 : where I announced the destination.