I am a postdoctoral fellow in the Department of Mathematics at the University of Toronto, under the supervision of Prof. Robert Jerrard and Prof. Robert McCann.
I did my Ph.D. at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, under the supervision of Prof. Raz Kupferman,
and my M.Sc. at Tel-Aviv University, under the supervision of Prof. Eilon Solan.
For a .pdf version of my CV, click here.
I organize the Analysis and Applied Math seminar at Toronto. If you are around and want to give a talk, let me know.
In Hebrew, my name is written “שיא מאור”, and my first name is pronounced like the third letter in the English alphabet.
Department of Mathematics
University of Toronto
M5S 2E4, Canada.
Photo courtesy of MFO
My research is mostly at the interface of non-linear elasticity, materials science, differential and Riemannian geometry, and the calculus of variations.
I am also interested in game theory (though currently I am not working in this field).
Publications and preprints:
- Vanishing geodesic distance for right-invariant Sobolev metrics on diffeomorphism groups, with Robert Jerrard, preprint.
- On the role of curvature in the elastic energy of non-Euclidean thin bodies, with Asaf Shachar, preprint.
- Variational Convergence of Discrete Geometrically-Incompatible Elastic Models, with Raz Kupferman, Calculus of Variations and PDEs, 57:39 (2018).
- Asymptotoc rigidity of Riemannian manifolds, with Raz Kupferman and Asaf Shachar, preprint.
- Limits of elastic models of converging Riemannian manifolds, with Raz Kupferman, Calculus of Variations and PDEs, 55:40 (2016).
- Non-metricity in the continuum limit of randomly-distributed point defects, with Raz Kupferman and Ron Rosenthal, to appear in Israel Journal of mathematics.
- Riemannian surfaces with torsion as homogenization limits of locally-Euclidean surfaces with dislocation-type singularities, with Raz Kupferman, Proc. of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, 146A (2016), 741–768.
- The emergence of torsion in the continuum limit of distributed edge-dislocations, with Raz Kupferman, Journal of Geometric Mechanics, 7(3) (2015), 361-387.
- A Riemannian approach to the membrane limit in non-Euclidean elasticity, with Raz Kupferman, Communications in Contemporary Mathematics 16 (2014), 1350052.
- Cooperation under Incomplete Information on the Discount Factors, with Eilon Solan, International Journal of Game Theory 44(2) (2015), 321-346.
Instructor (University of Toronto):
- Fall 2016-Winter 2017, Fall 2017-Winter 2018:
MAT235 (multivariable calculus)
Teaching assistant (Hebrew University):
- Fall 2011, Fall 2012:
Mathematical Methods I (calculus for physics students)
- Spring 2012:
Advanced Calculus II
- Spring 2013:
Ordinary Differential Equations
- Fall 2013, Fall 2014:
Fundamental Concepts in Analysis I (graduate course)
- Spring 2014:
Complex Analysis and Applications (for physicists)
- Spring 2015:
Mathematics for science students II
- Fall 2015:
Calculus and Linear Algebra in a special program for high-school math
I have been playing the piano and composing music for many years, and had the honor of learning from some great musicians including
Amnon Wolman and
Ilya Dimov (composition) and
Sara Tal and
Michal Tal (piano).
Below are some compositions and recordings (more to come soon):
- Piano Sonata, third part (performed by Ruth Zori). Second prize, Yardena Alotin composition competition (2014), Bar Ilan university.
First performed by Shira Shaked as part of the 2014 Piano Project of Stony Brook University.
recordings of my contrabass/piano free-improvisation duo with contrabassist/composer Orr Sinay.
Picture by Liran Ofir