This was the official website for MAT136H1F 2015.
For the current website of MAT136H1S 2016, follow this link
For the current website of MAT136H1S 2016, follow this link
Course InformationThis is the official website of the course MAT136H1F at the University of Toronto for the Fall 2015 academic semester. Grades for quizzes and term tests will be posted on blackboard. All other information about the course will be posted here.
About this course
|prerequisite||MAT135H1 or MAT125H1|
|topics||Antiderivatives, Integration and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, Techniques of Integration, Applications (Areas, Volumes, Arc Lengths, etc.), Introduction to Differential Equations and their Applications (Predator-Prey Systems, Models for Population Growth, etc.), Sequences and Series, Taylor Series.|
Single Variable Calculus, Early Transcendentals Version
8th Edition, by James Stewart: Cengage Learning 2016.
NOTE: If you don't want to buy the new textbook (the 8th edition), you can instead rent from the University Bookstore the new special package "8th edition Textbook + Student Solutions Manual + Calculus Test and Exam booklet". The cost is $29.95 for one term. This is an option for those of you who do not plan to keep the books after the MAT136 Final Exam.
|T0201||R4||GB 303||Fang (Vicky)|
|* tutorials begin week of Sept 28|
|Tue 11-1||BA 6283||Beatriz|
|Tue 4, Fri 1||BA 6283||Zhifei|
|* office hours begin week of Sept 21|
|MATH AID CENTRE|
|Mon 12||SS 1071||Wendy|
|Mon 1||SS 1071||Jun|
|Thu 12||SS 1071||Jun|
|* math aid centre hours begin week of Sept 28|
|Tests and quizzes|
|short quiz 1||Oct 5-9||tutorial||4.9, 5.1 - 5.4|
|long quiz 1||Oct 19-23||tutorial||4.9, 5.1 - 5.5, 6.1 - 6.3, 6.5, 7.1, 7.2|
|term test||Oct 30||EX 200||4.9, 5.1 - 5.5, 6.1 - 6.3, 6.5, 7.1, - 7.5|
|short quiz 2||Nov 2-6||tutorial||7.8, 8.1|
|short quiz 3||Nov 16-20||tutorial||9.1-9.4, 9.6|
|short quiz 4||Nov 23-27||tutorial||11.1 - 11.2|
|long quiz 2||Nov 30 - Dec 4||tutorial||7.8, 8.1, 9.1 - 9.4, 11.1 - 11.7|
|final exam||Dec 18||BN 3||4.9, 5.1 - 5.5, 6.1 - 6.3, 6.5, 7.1 - 7.5, 7.8, 8.1, 9.1 - 9.4, 11.1 - 11.10|
|Dec 4||We will hold a review session on Wednesday, December 16, 12:00 - 2:00. Location: SS 1069. During this review session we will go over some problems from the Practice Problems for the Final Exam.|
|Dec 4||We have posted Practice Problems for the Final Exam. You can find them here. We will not post solutions to these problems. Instead, we will go over some problems during the review session.|
|Dec 4||No regular tutorials the week of Dec 7 - 11. Instead, the TAs will be holding office hours during the regular tutorial times on Monday and Tuesday in the regular tutorial rooms.|
Office Hours before the final exam.
Extra Office Hours in the next two weeks.
|Nov 8||No regular tutorials the week of Nov 9 - 15. Instead, the TAs will be holding office hours during the regular tutorial times on Thursday in the regular tutorial rooms. This week, you can attend any of the Thursday's tutorial sections to ask questions.|
|Nov 01||The Mideterm Test took place on Friday, October 30. For solutions and results see here.|
|Nov 01||Beatriz's office hours have been changed. They are now Tuesdays 11-1 in BA 6283.|
|Oct 29||We have posted solutions to Tutorial 4.|
|Oct 29||Unfortunately, today's office hours with Vicky 2-4pm have been cancelled. All the other office hours will go ahead as planned.|
We have posted the following material:
Tutorial 2 Correction: There was a mistake in the solutions posted for Tutorial 2. You may have already noticed that Question 4 posted on the website did not correspond to the one you had in your handout. However, the answer did. I have posted solutions to both questions.
Question 4: is the one in the handout
Question 4': is the one that was mistakenly posted before.
Please make sure that you download and read the corrected version, here.
|Oct 13||The Midterm Test will take place on Friday, October 30. For information, see here.|
Extra Office Hours in the next two weeks.
|Oct 9||No regular tutorials the week of Oct 12 - 16. Instead, the TAs will be holding office hours during the regular tutorial times on Tuesday and Thursday in the regular tutorial rooms. This week, you can attend any tutorial section to ask questions.|
|Oct 3||Tutorial 1 problems and solutions have been posted.|
|Sept 24||Regular Math Aid Centre hours have been posted in the Practical Information Section.|
|Sept 19||Zhifei's office hours' times have been changed.|
The office hours' times and locations have been posted under Practical Information.
They start on September 21.
If you need to talk to us earlier, email for an appointment.
All links are now active.
Welcome to MAT136H1F!
The course webpage is now online, but some links are not active yet. See you in class next week!
|beatriz at math dot utoronto dot ca|
|office hours: Tue 11-1 in BA 6283|
|zhifei.zhu at mail dot utoronto dot ca|
|office hours: Tue 4, Fri 1 in BA 6283|
|john.enns at mail dot utoronto dot ca|
|guevara.guevaraparra at mail dot utoronto dot ca|
|fang.gu at mail dot utoronto dot ca|
|wendy.xiao at mail dot utoronto dot ca|
|jun.ouyang at mail dot utoronto dot ca|
Syllabus and Course outline
Read this document very carefully as it contains important information.
Beatriz will be updating this file as the course proceeds.
This table lists problems that you should work through to gain sufficient practice with the course material; they are not to be handed in.
7th to 8th Ed Comparison Table
This table shows a comparison between problems in the 7th Edition of the textbook and the assigned problems from the 8th Edition.
|Summary of convergence tests for series|
There is an online forum for this course on Piazza. This group is a resource for students to meet other MAT136F students, ask questions, discuss problems, make study groups, and in general help each other. Past-year students found the online forum a useful resource.
Sign up here.
Grades for quizzes and term tests will be posted on portal.
|Math Aid Centres|
- Tutorial 1 (Sept 28 - Oct 2) : Definite Integral and Fundamental Theorem of Calculus
- Tutorial 2 (Oct 5 - Oct 9) : Areas and Volumes (Corrected Version)
- Oct 12 - Oct 16 (Thanksgiving): No regular tutorials this week (No tutorial handout). Office hours in tutorial rooms instead.
- Tutorial 3 (Oct 19 - Oct 23) : Integration Methods I (solutions)
- Tutorial 4 (Oct 26 - Oct 30) : Integration Methods II (Solutions)
- Nov 9 - Nov 15 (Fall Break Nov 9 - 10): No regular tutorials this week (No tutorial handout). On Thursday, there will be office hours in tutorial rooms instead of the regular tutorial.
- Tutorial 5 (Nov 2 - Nov 6) : Improper Integrals (Solutions)
- Tutorial 6 (Nov 16 - Nov 20) : Differential Equations (Solutions)
- Tutorial 7 (Nov 23 - Nov 27) : Series (Solutions)
- Tutorial 8 (Nov 30 - Dec 4) : Ratio Test, Root Test, and Power Series (Solutions)
Final ExamTime and Location
- When: Friday, December 18, 7:00pm - 10:00pm. Please show up at 6:40 pm to have time to get settled.
- Where: BN 3
The final exam will include Sections 4.9, 5.1 - 5.5, 6.1 - 6.3, 6.5, 7.1 - 7.5, 7.8, 8.1, 9.1 - 9.4, 11.1 - 11.10.
How to prepare
- Review the practice problems from the sections included.
- Review all the tutorials and quizzes.
- Review the lecture notes and the textbook.
- Work through the Practice Problems for the Final Exam.
We will be holding a review session on Wednesday, December 16, 12:00 - 2:00. Location: SS 1069. During this review session we will go over some problems from the Practice Problems for the Final Exam.
Also, keep in mind that our exam format is different from previous years' exams. Therefore, it is not a good idea to study only from past exams, although they are still good practice material.
Rules during the test
Final Exams are run by the Faculty of Arts and Science. You must follow all the rules as detailed here: http://www.artsci.utoronto.ca/current/exams/rules and http://www.artsci.utoronto.ca/current/exams/reminder
In particular, make sure that you bring your TCard or any other valid Photo ID.
Please see the office hours posted on the course website under announcements.
Do not leave things for the last minute. If you leave your questions for the last couple of days, chances are we will have very limited time to talk to you.
Good luck! We will be very happy if you all do very well.
- The Midterm Test took place on Friday, October 30. For the test information page, as it looked before the test see here.
- We've created a list of extra practice problems for the midterm. You can find it here.
Test OutcomeThe Midterm Test grades are now on Blackboard. You will receive your test back this week in the tutorial you are registered in. We have also posted solutions.
- The class average was 52%.
- The highest score was 60/60, achieved by 1 student.
- The lowest score was 6/60, achieved by 1 student.
How to interpret the results:
- If you scored over 80%, congratulations. You deserve a cookie!
- If your grade is less than 40%, you should reevaluate how you are working for this course. Please think about your study habits, your time management, make a realistic plan, and decide whether this is doable. As you saw, many questions were similar to the ones worked out in class, in tutorials and in the extra practice problems. For this reason, it is very important that when you don't understand a problem, you come to our office hours, ask questions on Piazza, or ask your TA.
What to do if you think your grade is incorrect?
- Read the sample solutions carefully, and try to understand what went wrong.
- Having said that, we know that we sometimes make mistakes in marking and we will correct them. If you have an issue with the grading of the test, then you should write a comment on the front page of your test clearly indicating which parts are to be regraded and why, then return the test to your TA as soon as possible (before the end of the tutorial). Your request for a test regrade will not be accepted after you leave the tutorial room. Suggestion: given that you will only have an hour (the length of your tutorial) to decide whether and why your tests needs regrading, we strongly recommend thoroughly going through the posted test solutions BEFORE you come to the tutorial.
If it is only a matter of us not adding properly the total grade, then we will send you an email by Sunday, November 8th to confirm that the grade has been changed. Otherwise, you must come to office hours to discuss it. If you don't come to the office hours, your grade will not be changed. If you do not come to our office hours to discuss your regrade request by Friday, November 20th, your grade will not be changed.
|Wed, Nov 11||1-3||BA (40 St. George st.) 6th floor lounge|
|Thu, Nov 12||10-12||BA (40 St. George st.) 6th floor lounge|
|Wed, Nov 18||1-3||BA (40 St. George st.) 6th floor lounge|
If you cannot make it to any of these office hours please send us an email to book an appointment.